How to Navigate the 2Gen Toolbox to Find Useful Resources
- Use the filter categories in the right-hand menu to more quickly find helpful resources.
- Select any filter category (e.g., Topics, Type of Resources, Audiences, etc.) to specify criteria for the kind of tool or information you are seeking, and the audience that will be using it.
- You can refine your results further by using multiple filters. Using more filters will turn up fewer “tool” results – that are likely more on target.
- The search results always list tools that have been designated as a “Field Pick” at the top your results, no matter when they were created, followed by any other tools that fit with your criteria, starting with the most recent. (A Field Pick is a tool that practitioners download most often and/or consider most helpful.)
- At the bottom of the Filters list, you may choose to access either the Main Toolbox, the Archive, or both. The Main Toolbox includes the most recent and relevant 2Gen tools. Tools that are older but retain relevance to the development of the 2Gen field are in the Archive.
- This version of Toolbox navigation system was initiated in January 2021. Ascend will update and improve it over time. If you have feedback about using it or suggestions about ways to improve it, please contact Brendan Creamer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The updated 2Gen Toolbox was produced by a partnership between Ascend at the Aspen Institute and the Aspen Institute Community Strategies Group (CSG), and supported by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation and the Annie E. Casey Foundation. The inclusion of more than 300 resources in the toolbox reflects input from key 2Gen leaders and consultants, gathered by Karen Murrell (Higher Heights Consulting), Aspen CSG and Ascend. Ascend is grateful for ongoing insights and materials provided by everyone working to advance the field.
In 2021, Ascend announced six recipients of the Aspen Policy Acceleration Partnership (PAP) grants, an effort to support cities, counties, and states committed to increasing family prosperity and well-being for…
In 2020, Ascend established the Postsecondary Leadership Circle (Leadership Circle), a group of more than 20 college and university leaders who advise the Postsecondary Success for Parents (PSP) Initiative. Members of…
This two-pager highlights principles and solutions from two Aspen Family Prosperity Innovation Community publications: the Principles and Innovations to Drive Family Prosperity report, and Aspen Family Prosperity Innovation Community Index.
Balancing Work with School and Training while Raising Young Children: A National Portrait of Young Parents, Their Schedules, and Children’s Care Arrangements
By The Urban Institute | Research suggests a growing and significant number of parents both work and attend school. Many of them are young parents who face unique challenges as…
This participant child care needs assessment tool was designed to help Strengthening Working Families Initiative (SWFI) grantees identify the best strategies for addressing individual child care needs of participants served…